Wednesday, November 19, 2014

A New Journey for James

(Brennan took our table apart to do some repairs, so James went over to sit on the boxes that were weighing the table top down since that's where he's supposed to sit when he eats. Cracked me up) 

So here's the scoop about James and preschool.  James' preschool teachers had expressed multiple times that James has a hard time sitting in his chair and participating and that he doesn't attempt to engage with anyone while at school, including the teachers, and that he's a bit behind in speech.  The teachers expressed that James required a lot of one on one time and that him not listening to the teachers is a bit of a safety problem, you know in case of a fire or something, they would need him to be cooperative and follow there instructions.  (Brennan and I just sit back and nod when we hear stuff like this, like we're waiting for them to say something to us that we've never dealt with before) 

So long story short, they suggested that we take a break from preschool and try again in January.  They also strongly suggested that I take James into the Dr to have his hearing checked because they were concerned that he doesn't hear very well and that maybe that's why he's not engaging with other people. 

I will admit that I was a little prideful.  I know my James is a handful (no one knows this better than I do!) but to expect a 2 1/2 year old to sit in his chair is a little bit of a stretch, don't you think?

So out of spite, I took James into the Dr to have his hearing checked.  The Dr checked his ears and we had a long chat about James' behavior.  (Update: I took James to a specialist and his hearing is totally normal) The Dr didn't seem overly concerned, in fact he agreed that it shouldn't be mandatory for a two year old to stay seated in his chair, let alone participate in every craft.  But he did refer me to an early intervention place where James could be evaluated by professional child development therapists.  

We made an appointment to have James evaluated.  We were scheduled for a two hour appointment with an educational specialist, an occupational therapist and a speech pathologist.  I had prayed the night before that James would act like his every day self and that the therapists would be able to evaluate him properly.  Well, James could not have acted more like himself!  He was jumping off of everything, running all over the room, pushing the therapists hands away from him when they tried to get him to do something.  

All three therapists agreed that James qualified for the early intervention program.  The're biggest concern was that James doesn't engage enough with others, which is why he's not learning to speak and do other things at a normal pace.  They don't think that he's autistic or anything and I wasn't concerned with a mental disorder either.  (Though I think that I might have a mental disorder from dealing with my sweet James :)

I will honestly admit that I am relieved.  I have felt quite a bit of stress being James' mother and now I feel a little validated for it.  It's nice to know that I'm not a terrible mother who can't stand my children, it has just truly been a bit of a handful for me. (Anyone who's seen James will agree) I'm pretty exhausted.  

So here is how we will precede.  We will have an educational therapist and an occupational therapist come out once a week and a speech patholigist come out twice a month to our house.  All of this is covered by insurance. 

 I have had friends who have gone through this same program and have said that it is wonderful and that their child ended up being above average when they finished the program.  They do say though that it is a lot of work on the parent's part because you have to work constantly with your child every day on achieving your goals.  

James only qualifies for this program until he is 3 years old, then he gets turned over to the school district.  That only gives us 3 1/2 months with in home therapy.  The school district has the same early intervention program, only it's a preschool and apparently it is the most awesome preschool around.  I've heard really good things from parents who have had children in the program.   

Now you can argue that people need to stop overreacting about a two year that doesn't fit into a box, but I will honestly say that I am welcoming these therapists and programs with open arms!  I can seriously use any tool that I can get with helping James to settle down and behave in a way that doesn't make my hair fall out (because over the last 6 months it literally has been, in hand fulls!) 

So that's the scoop right now with James.  Even though he is high energy and a mischievous pain sometimes, he is still a really cute boy and it makes it even more worth it to hear so many people tell me how much they love James and just how cute he is. James has a great personality and I'm sure he will be the life of every party as he gets older.  Right now we are just hoping to get him back on track so he doesn't miss out on a thing! 

2 comments:

Danielle said...

first of all, I know how you feel! that's amazing how much support they're giving you. here my younger two got a general helper once a month until they were three. I couldn't imagine multiple people every week! it is a lot of work, but yes, definitely validating.

also, that is SUPER lame of the preschool. I mean, I'd be pissed. Bennett's first year of preschool sucked. I felt bad because of the tantrums, crying, etc. and they had their work cut out for them. never once did they suggest that he should not come anymore. rather they worked with me to know what worked best at home, let me know of the little successes they had that day, etc. their willingness to focus on the positive with him was a breathe of fresh air when I was struggling to do the same.

anyway, this situation sounds much better than the last one, and better tailored to what will work for him, so I'm glad for you!

K said...

Yep, expectations for a 2-1/2 year old to sit quietly in a chair for longer than a few minutes is just crazy. Sorry that you felt like you are a bad mother. You are a great mother and I'm glad you're getting some help. Sounds like a good program!