Monday, September 16, 2013

Monday- Birthday Celebrations and Benihana

Hailey and Jacob waiting for the school bus.  

My birthday is on Saturday and our anniversary is tomorrow and since things are a little crazy this week, I decided to switch the two dates around to make celebrating both a little easier.  So tonight we went to Benihana to celebrate Hailey and I birthday for the month.  


On another note, I discovered something quite disturbing today.  As you know, Brennan and I have become much more aware of the amount of sugar that are in our foods and the damage that it can have on our bodies.  

Earlier this month, I felt ill after eating a cupcake from Hailey's birthday.  I told Brennan that we needed to ban sugar from our house for the month of September because I am tired of feeling sick so often.  Obviously my body is trying to tell me something.  A few days later Brennan and I read the current issue of National Geographic that happened to have an article on sugar.  We American's consume around 150lbs of sugar per person, per year.  That is nearly a half a pound of sugar a day.  The article went on to say that many of the health problems we deal with today is caused by our sugar intake.  

Well, I bought some chocolate milk at the store today as a treat for the kids after I had spent time looking at the sugar content of all the food items I was putting in my cart, making sure to avoid brands with too much sugar.  Ironically, I didn't look at the chocolate milk until we got home and were drinking it.  I had just pored James 8 oz in his bottle and gave Jacob his glass.  I looked at the nutritional facts and saw that in one glass of chocolate milk, there is 33 grams of sugar.  I wanted to know what that looked like, so I got out my scale and measured out 33 grams of sugar.  The end result is the photo shown below, using a small mason jar.  Just so you know, 4 grams of sugar equals 1 teaspoon.  My baby was drinking 8 teaspoons of sugar and was drinking his bottle like it was filled with, well you know, Sugar!  He was addicted to it and no wonder!!  So here is another crazy thing.  I was spending time at the store today going through yogurts trying to avoid the ones that have 33g of sugar per cup of yogurt.  Isn't yogurt supposed to be healthy?  I think my eyes have been opened and we need to make a lifestyle change.  

3 comments:

Danielle said...

haha...I feel the same way. I was just blogging last night about sugar in pops and drinks! lol.

Danielle said...

that being said, I do love sugar. I just try and eat it in moderation now.

The Horal Clan said...

Happy Birthday to you and Hailey and Happy anniversary!