We were in a car accident Friday, the 14th. Everyone is alright, but the Odyssey is most likely totaled.
I was on my way to pick up Hailey from school. I had Jacob and James with me in the car. Long story short, we were rear ended pretty bad by a 21 year guy in a large truck. He was going about 40-45 mph.
But who wants the short story, so here is the detailed version for those who are interested.
I am counting my many blessings. There is no doubt in my mind that we were protected today. It might sound ironic, but here is why I believe so.
We were on our way to an appointment for James (just 2 hours before the accident) and Jacob kept asking me for an ice cream cone from McDonalds. So I decided to get him one. Jacob normally sits in the back of the van, but since I was giving him an ice cream cone in the car, I told him to move his car seat up to the middle seat. So he did and he never moved his seat back. This was blessing number one.
After the appointment, we headed out to go get Hailey from school. I used the seat belt to secure James in his car seat. When we started driving Jacob informed me that James's seat was loose and had tipped a little when I turned a corner. So I pulled over and made extra sure that his car seat was very secure. This was blessing number two.
On our way to get Hailey we saw a car accident. I always use these experiences to remind the children that this is why we always sit up straight in the car and to always wear a seat belt, just in case we ever get in a car accident.
After that we headed up the hill, or Sahalee for the locals, and it happened just before Summers Ridge. The cars in front of me started to stop because someone was making a turn, so I hit the brakes and before I could come to a complete stop, the truck behind me nailed me hard. He wasn't paying attention so he hit me going about 40-45 mph, never hitting his brakes. The air bags deployed on the entire left side of the car and hit my head (or rather my head hit it) and my ear started ringing. Everything was in slow motion. There was music playing but I don't remember hearing it. My van swerved into the other lane while it made a 180 degree turn. Seriously, this was the biggest blessing of all. The traffic was heavy at this time of day and many cars were coming from both directions going 45 mph, but there happened to be a school bus up ahead that was stopped, therefore it had blocked all oncoming traffic. Thinking about this always makes me want to cry. Had that bus not been there at that time, we would have most likely hit a car coming towards us in the other lane. If that would have happened, who knows how much worse the accident would have been. No question it would have been very ugly.
Once the van stopped moving, I really panicked for the safety of my children. James was crying blooding murder and I was so terrified that he had been injured. He's only 6 months old and so fragile. I looked back and Jacob seemed fine. Some how I lost one of my flip flops as I moved over to the passenger seat to open the door. The passenger door was slightly jammed as I opened it. I jumped out of the car to get James out but his door wouldn't open at all. So I jumped back into the passengers seat and reached back to grab his car seat out. I brought both James and Jacob out this way. I pulled James out of his carseat and he seamed to be ok. He had some marks from his harness on the area between his neck and shoulder, but nothing serious. He was moving every part of his body while he screamed, so that was a good sign. He was clearly very scared. Jacob seemed totally fine. As for me, and I could seriously care less, I had a burn on my shoulder from where the seat belt rubbed up against me and though my back didn't hurt then, it hurts now.
People started getting out of there cars to help assist me. A man moved my car off the road even though the back tire was jammed and tilted and wouldn't move. Another man came out of his house to help assist, he had heard the crash. A woman helped hold James so I could get my phone and call Brennan. I told him to call the school to tell them not to put Hailey on the bus. Then he called a family we met in our new ward, which is another name for church for those who aren't Mormon, and had them pick up Hailey and keep her at there house. He then was on his way. He was in the middle of a big meeting when I called, but it was obviously over.
At this point I started looking for the truck that hit me. When i had found it I was completely shocked to see the truck on its side in a ditch, with the drivers side facing down. I was horrified wondering if he was seriously injured. He just hung out in the truck for a while before he decided to climb out. He was totally fine, but the look on his face showed serious remorse. He felt horrible.
A fire truck finally pulled up to the seen. I never called 911, but trusted that someone else would. That's when the tears started flowing. Tears of joy!!!!! My children were ok!!!! There isn't a sicker feeling in the world than when you think your children could be seriously injured. I could have cared less wether I was ok or not. All I could think about was my children. I am so glad that Jacob was sitting in the middle seat, who knows what would have happened to him had he been sitting in the back and thank goodness I had the chance to double check James's car seat to make sure it was really secure. Whoa blessings!
A cop showed up and traffic started moving again. A friend of mine from my old ward in Redmond drove by and recognized that it was me so she stopped. She helped hold James so I could help keep Jacob from going in the road. Seriously, that kid and the road, nothing fazes him. After a few minutes the Relief Society President drove by and stopped to help. What a blessing on her timing! She took Jacob to her house for me so I didn't have to worry about him.
Brennan finally arrived. From there the cop gave us all the info we needed from the other driver. That poor kid felt so bad and we let him know that everything was ok, no one was hurt.
The tow truck driver told us that the van is most likely totaled. So we have a rental car for a while until we figure that all out.
Every once in a while I cry a few tears joy and thankfulness. I am so thankful that God was watching over us, it could have been so much worse.
Counting my blessings :)
The van doesn't look as bad in the picture as it does is person. The tire is tilted and the back door can't open. the trunk is completely caved in.



9 comments:
Oh bummer! Thank God you are all ok. How scary. If nothing else, getting in an accident is such a hassel, but in this case it could've been so much worse. Sorry Rachel.
Gosh, you're making me cry over here! SO SCARY!!!!!!!!! I'm so grateful for all those blessings that helped ensure your family's safety! And so so so glad you guys are okay! LOVE YOU!
So scary! I am so thankful that everything turned out okay and for all of the things that made this a situation you walked away from! Hope your back feels better soon!
So glad you are okay. What is the wood table in your van?
That wood table was something that Brennan made to jeryrig a movie player stand. We only want the kids watching videos on long road trips, so that's why we didn't get a van with one already in it. We had just gotten back from Portland and I hadn't taken it out.
That is so scary! So glad you were watched over and no one was hurt. I'll call ya later today!
Glad to hear you are all okay. Heavenly Father blesses us more than we can ever thank him for. What a wonderful miracle this was for you and your family. Again, I am so happy to hear you are all okay.
Wow, how scary! I'm glad that everyone is alright!
Wow, Rachel....so many tender mercies in what could have been a horrific accident. Such a testimony of the Lord being so aware of us in all circumstances! So very grateful that you and your precious children are ok. Hope and pray that you and your kids will recover quickly! Love you all!
Post a Comment