Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Be Human, it's OK

Quite often mothers get down on themselves for their neurotic meltdowns imperfections when it involves their children. 

I don't believe yelling is a good thing, but it happens on occasion.  Yes?  We are all human?  (No,not you?)

However, I do believe it is good to let your children see your "imperfections" because they learn how to respond properly.

For instance:

Today was a wonderful day.   No yelling all the way up until bedtime.  A very good day :)

Jacob had one of Hailey's toys.  Her tiny pink puppy that had 3 hair bows that Hailey put on it herself.

Hailey wanted the puppy to take to bed.

Jacob would not give it up, not even for the identical one without the bows.  (Jacob loves his sister's frilly things.  Have you not picked up on it yet?) 

Hailey started to cry.

I tried to be a loving mommy and went into the bathroom to get 3 hair bows for Hailey to put on the other puppy.

Do you think that worked?

Ha, if you are a parent, you know the answer to that one!

So I began to lose my patience.

"Hailey!  Just take the bows!"

"Noooooooooo!  Just give Jacob some trains!"

"Jacob doesn't want any trains Hailey!  You have two puppies, just share one with Jacob!"  

"Fine, I want that one!"  (The one Jacob is holding)

Hailey then grabbed both puppies and somehow all the bows ended up on the floor.

Kids were unhappy

Mom was unhappy  (Brennan is gone on business, which means I'm doing it solo= end of day crankiness.  Do you feel me?)
 
I lose it!

I don't even remember what I said, but it came out yelling!

So I put my hands over my face and counted to ten. (I've heard somewhere that works?)

Well it did a little actually. 

Then I took all of the toys and put them on Hailey's bed.  (Jacob gave up on the puppy)

It was time for prayers.

I held my hands in fists and said a very irreverent prayer with the kids and Hailey watched my face the whole time.

Afterwords, Hailey gave me a hug 

Then a kiss

Said that she was sorry

And that she loved me!

Thank you Hailey for your ability to understand and forgive your imperfect mother!

Now see, where else is she supposed to learn that stuff?

That's what I tell myself anyway :)

1 comment:

The Horal Clan said...

Think we have all been there. Can you imagine being a single parent? I am always so GLAD when Adam is home. He does all the bedtime routine, which give me a little piece of sanity for the night!